Charlotte, North Carolina

HomeNorth CarolinaCharlotte

Email Shannon Weidemann
Shannon Weidemann
Shannon Weidemann
Contributor •

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs Contain Mercury

Comments Off

Many people are replacing their incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) in order to reduce energy consumption and help save the environment. What many people don’t know is that CFLs contain a small amount of mercury and need special treatment. Mercury is a hazardous substance and you should limit your exposure to it.

When one lamp is broken, the best thing to do is to wear chemical resistant glove to clean it up. The gloves can be vinyl, rubber, PVC, or neoprene. The gloves you buy in the supermarket for household cleaning are sufficient.

The gloves protect your skin from absorbing mercury and from getting cut by the glass.

You should find a place that will recycle used CFLs when it comes time to replace them. www.earth911.com has recycling options in your area.